Tuesday, March 10, 2015

I got a Guernsey!

When the call for papers for AFFHO Congress 2015 closed I was on a river cruise somewhere between Budapest and Bucharest and, although I had prepared some submissions I was distracted from submitting them on time.

I was disappointed that I forgot to put the proposals in but I decided that I would just rock up to Congress and feast on the banquet of opportunities available there. I was thrilled when, some time between my holidays last year, I was approached to be an Official Conference Blogger with Pauleen Cass and Shauna Hicks as it gave me an opportunity to be involved with the event.... because I like being involved. We have endeavoured to drum up some enthusiasm and interest in the event.



It took me about 5 seconds to respond to an invitation I received from Conference Convenor, Kerrie Gray, a couple of weeks ago. After saying YES I realised what a privilege it is to be moderating the very last session at Congress, A Panel : Family history research- why leave home to do it? I got quite a buzz when I saw that my name had been added to the Conference Program. Thank you to whomever put my name forward, I am both humbled and honoured.

I warned Kerrie that I am a bit rough around the edges. However, I know that with the cast of panelists: Josh Taylor from the US, Carole Riley from Australia and David Holman from the UK we will provide you with some lighthearted banter and serious food for thought at the end of four exciting and educative days.

Mr GeniAus who always brings me down to earth reminded  me that many people hit the road before the last session of a conference. It would be fantastic if you could hang around for what I hope will be a fitting finale to the event.

I'll be wearing my Guernsey with pride.

8 comments:

Celia Lewis said...

Okay, somehow I don't understand the use of Guernsey in this context! Will it be cold and you'll wear a sweater? Or is there one particular sweater with an interesting (genealogically-speaking) saying or logo on it?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Oh, and congratulations on being recognized as an official blogger plus!! Good on you.

GeniAus said...

Oh, Celia. I am full of colloquialisms. To get a guernsey means to be included in a team. In Australia football tops were called guernseys. The saying "to get a guernsey" is used widely, not just in football, to indicate inclusion in a team or group.

Caitie G said...

I have never heard the word guernsey before, so I was confused too.

Caitie G said...

I have never heard the word guernsey before, so I was confused too.

crgalvin said...

Nowadays they are called football jerseys, but the expression is "to get a guernsey"

Bribie Family History Association said...

I know what a guernsey is too - must be something to do with our vintage!

GeniAus said...

Yes, I'm a strange OLD bird, Shauna.

Tanya Honey said...

I'll be hanging around for that last session. (I also know what a guernsy is!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...