Sunday, September 14, 2014

Unbreakable

As you may have previously read Mr GeniAus and I are in the process of decrapifying our home. After nearly 45 years of marriage and with few moves we have acculumated a lot of stuff. 

As I was packing our green and white kitchen dinnerware into a box today my mind wandered back to its aquisition. Quite a number of years ago my Aunty Kath, my mother and mother-in-law were  decrapifying so they passed on their collection of Grindley Hotelware to us. As this stuff is virtually indestructible we still have 36 dinner plates (3 sizes), coupes, bread and butter plates and cups and saucers in the set. I never use my other everyday plates, my fun chicken dinnersets or my four posh sets. 

Family members all had sets of this crockery because my Uncle Jack imported and sold the  Grindley Hotelware through his hotel supplies firm so they got it at a good price.

As I was packing the stuff into boxes this morning I pondered on the thirty odd years of good service the plates have given us and the many family celebrations that they have witnessed, I guess they could tell some tales. In a way I am sorry to see those plates go because of the memories they dredge up and I know that their pristine white replacements will not survive as well in my kitchen and dishwasher. 


I am pleased to report that the plates are moving on to another family home where I know they will give many more years of faithful service.

4 comments:

Lizzie said...

Even though the stuff goes, the memories remain. Keep up the good work!!

Kerryn Taylor said...

They don't make them like that anymore do they good to hear they are staying in the family.

Hilary Gadsby said...

I have a delicate tea service that my uncle gave us as a wedding present. It has barely seen the light of day since we received it. We are tea drinkers in our house, but mugs that go in the dishwasher are much more practical. It may get passed to the next generation but how many of them will use it.

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

A major decrapify is ahead of us as we plan our retirement relocation. We've mixed countries once, towns five times and houses 10 but somehow it just keeps multiplying, and the decisions about the stuff we've had through our lives are the hardest ones to make. Glad you have found someone in the family to take them on,

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...