Sunday, August 11, 2013

Australia’s Community Heritage

Of interest to family historians and genealogy and historical societies will be this new website recently launched by The Hon Mark Butler MP, Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Water.

  
Australia’s Community Heritage – www.communityheritage.net.au

Without the support of individuals and organisations to input data and stories to the site it has the potential to be a big flop. On the other hand it could also be an amazing resource for the community. To see how you can assist this project please take a look at the Get Invloved page.

I have registered as an individual and my Screen Name is GeniAus. I am not sure how much I will share as I am rather put off by this condition that as a user I... 

grant to the Commonwealth of Australia represented by the Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities (or any successor agency) (the Department) a perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide, non-exclusive licence (including a right of sublicense) to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, communicate, publish, broadcast and exploit your contribution to the Website for any non-commercial purpose.

I can see that one could use the site to post a truncated story about a person with a link to a more comprehensive story on one's own blog, in a magazine, book or on a website so that one is not giving over all one's work to The Commonwealth of Australia. 

I will certainly use the site to list the presentations I am giving at various places around the traps. 


4 comments:

Linda said...

I've been using this for a while (well, a couple of days), and I actually like it. Although there are a few glitches and the searching could be better. But overall, I like it.

I think it is what historical societies have been waiting for, for some time. I guess we should all read conditions, but when something basically comes from the Federation of Australian Historical Societies and the National Trust, it must have a bit of cred.

http://cataloguingingippsland.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/australias-community-heritage-website.html

John Sparrow said...

Could be good, but that condition is a bit daunting.
The blogs I follow, I follow by email, rather than use an RSS feed. I could set up a Google, but email is much better.

GeniAus said...

I think that the site has enormous potential, Linda, but think they need to revise that rather harsh condition.

Catherine said...

Valuable info Jill... thanks for that. Mark Butler happens to be my Federal Minister and was previously Minister for Aging. I'd forgotten about his new job. I need to have a "chinwag" with my member about the lack of Heritage Protection for one of the oldest South Australian cemeteries Cheltenham, which is in his Electorate, and in which the desecration an reuse of the gravesites of some of our earliest Pioneers is an absolute tragedy.
Thanks again... Catherine.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...